A to Z Theme 2016

For my 2016 A to Z theme I used a meme that I ran across on the blog of Bridget Straub who first saw it on the blog of Paula Acton. This meme is a natural for me to use on my memoir blog. It's an A to Z concept and it's about me. No research and nothing complicated. I'm given twenty six questions or topics to discuss that are about me.

In April I kept my posts short and uncomplicated. In the midst of it all you might learn a few things about me that you didn't previously know.

Saturday, June 6, 2015

Arlee's A to Z Road Trip


 Coming Soon to a Town Near You!



       I just might be near you this summer and I'm going to have some time on my hands at certain points.  What a great opportunity to meet up with some of my blogging friends!   While many of us are taking the virtual Road Trip through the A to Z Challenge list, I'll actually be out on the roads of America.

       My tentative route is shown below on the map and some planned destinations with approximate dates when I'll be in those areas.  It's short notice I know, but maybe some of you can figure a way to meet up.  Ideally we could set up some group meetings at coffee shops, libraries, or other similar types of places.  Maybe you'd like to even host something at your own home.

       Since I'll be on the road I'd have to leave it up to you to set up meeting arrangements  Just let me know so we can confirm everything first.   Also, if you'd be interested in having me meet with your writing group or some other type of group I'd be willing to consider that as well.  I'd be delighted to offer a presentation on "Blogging for Author Platform" (a presentation which can easily be adapted for other purposes besides writing) or "Why You Should Consider Blogging from A to Z in April."   I can also adapt a program especially to suit your needs.  Let me know if you're interested and if it fits into our mutual schedules we can work something out.

        I'll be plenty busy this summer, but if I can get a chance to meet you I'd like to try to put that into my schedule.   Take a look at my route and schedule and then if you think we can coincide our timing let me know in the comments and we can see what we can come up with.


My Tentative Route



My Approximate Schedule

Houston, TX June 22-28

June 28-July 1 en route to Knoxville, TN (passing through Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama--my route is flexible)

July 1 - July 12 Maryville, TN (near Knoxville)

July 12- July 16th traveling to NJ with stops in Charlotte, NC; Danville, VA; Richmond, VA (again my route is flexible)

July 16-August 11 Jersey Shore ( I can travel to points near that area including Philadelphia and NYC)

August 11 -August 16 return to Los Angeles with probable stops in Rapid City, SD and Yellowstone Park, WY.

       Do you see any potential meet-up points?   Will you be going anywhere this summer?   

31 comments:

  1. Wow, Lee! That looks like an exciting road trip! You will be covering some of the same territory that Mrs. Shady and I traveled last summer. We flew to El Paso, rented a car, drove to Carlsbad Cavern and on to the Grand Canyon. Next we drove down past Phoenix, visited family in San Diego and drove back to Tuscon where we caught a plane for home. I see that you will also be at the Jersey Shore where I spent many summer vacations. Finally, you will be passing through the area where I lived the first half of my life, Lancaster and York, PA, on your way back west.

    I wish you a safe and happy journey, good buddy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That western trip is a memorable one isn't it. I spent my elementary school years in San Diego--a much smaller place back then and a wonderful experience for that time of my life.

      Three of my daughters live in the Jersey Shore area so maybe one day that's where I might think about setting in for old age. Hate to be away from my grandkids like I am.

      Lee

      Delete
  2. What a fabulous trip! I love road trips so much. Dying to do another one. We were just talking about someday buying an RV b/c we both hate to fly now. Unfortunately it doesn't look like you are hitting the northeast this time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JoJo, I'd love to hit the New England states and maybe continue on into Canada. Maybe a vacation for a future year.. Flying is the pits. I've thought about an RV retirement life but not sure about that.

      Lee

      Delete
  3. If you pass through Fort Wayne in that squiggly blue line to Yellowstone, be sure to wave at us as you go past!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure that we'll be taking the route that passes Ft Wayne and by then we'll probably be moving along quickly to make it to sights along our way home. Gotta get my wife back in time to start the new school year.

      Lee

      Delete
  4. It sounds like a great trip. I love to sit and watch the world as I drive. Have a great trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ann, driving is my favorite way to travel. There's more flexibility in scheduling when I'm in charge of the route.

      Lee

      Delete
  5. Looks like a wonderful journey you have planned! I hope you have a fantastic time :-)
    Your squiggly line goes right through (or over?) Tucson! I seem to remember you like Tacos... I bet I can gather a handful of interested writers/readers for a good old-fashioned Mexican lunch meeting with enough notice - or lunch if you're just passing through. Either way, Happy Trails!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diedre, we do always pass quickly through Tucson on our way to Houston because we are in a hurry to get to Houston. The taco stop would be fun, but my schedule for those first two days wouldn't allow it. My wife is in too big of a hurry to see our granddaughter in Houston!

      Lee

      Delete
    2. Ha! Can't say as I blame her! Be safe out there :-)

      Delete
  6. That southern route looks like the one I took to get to Canada, after a hard right at LA, Ca. Hope you will share some of your road trip with us via the blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DG, I imagine I'll have some travel reports now and then.

      Lee

      Delete
  7. Sounds like a lovely summer. Look forward to hearing about your meetings and musings as you travel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patricia, I'm sure I'll have something to say.

      Lee

      Delete
  8. Looks like you'll be on I-10 through Texas and into Louisiana, which means you'll pass right over Beaumont. That's the city I work in. ;) But, alas, I belong to no writing groups nor do I personally know any bloggers from same said area.
    Life & Faith in Caneyhead

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barbara, if I'm on the same driving schedule as I was last year I'll be hitting Beaumont about 6 in the morning--probably a bit early. I like to get an early start when leaving Houston to avoid as much traffic as I can.

      Lee

      Delete
  9. Don't think I'd be able to catch you in Charlotte since that's during the week. We're on vacation sometime in July as well, just not sure when.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alex, I'll keep you posted about my schedule.

      Lee

      Delete
  10. Lee, as you know I live in Knoxville, but I don't belong to any writing groups. It would be cool to meet you,but I honestly we have a whole lot of stuff going on that I just don't yet if we can swing it. I'll let you know, if our schedule opens up and then we can take it from there. But, goodness you have a lot of travel plans for this summer. Be safe and have fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathy, I'll provide you with some more precise dates as I confirm my stay in Knoxville. I'll probably have a pretty full schedule depending on what my brothers and sisters have planned concerning our mother's house and trying to meet up with old friends that I may not see again for a while.

      Lee

      Delete
  11. Oh man, if we were still in Utah, I'd definitely arrange my schedule to meet up with you in Salt Lake!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen, my wife wants to pass through SLC to see the Mormon Tabernacle. We'll probably be doing a fly-by at that point in our trip as we will be anxious to get home. Don't think we'll be in Central America anytime soon.

      Lee

      Delete
  12. Dang, I'm so jealous of your roadtrip! I wish I could go on one. Unfortunately, other than a maybe trip to San Antonio/Austin and another undetermined weekend trip, my summer is likely going to be uneventful! Have a fun/safe trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Madilyn, your summer will be what you make it. Every day is an event.

      Lee

      Delete
  13. wISH THAT WE COULD TAKE A "ROAD tRIP"... EVEN A SHORT ON ... AWAY FROM HERE...
    Sorry hit "Caps" when I picked up Keyboard...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dr. Theda, I thought maybe you were engaging in some creative keyboarding.

      Lee

      Delete
  14. I'm in the UK so unfortunately I won't be able to visit any of the meet up points. I think this is a really good idea though :)
    Popping by on the A to Z Road Trip
    Debbie
    www.myrandommusings.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Random, I'll let you know when I come to the UK. You might have to wait a long time though.

      Lee

      Delete
  15. I lived for 10 years in Cedar City, Utah--along your route--if you really want an interesting trip, go through Utah on Hwy 89 or jump over to Ely Nevada and drive down 395 to Vegas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sage, I'm sure that part would be very interesting but I'm also sure on that last leg of our trip we are going to be anxious to finally get home. We'll see how the schedule is going by that time.

      Lee

      Delete

Tell your story. Express your thoughts. We want to hear from you. This blog no longer accepts comments from "Anonymous"--That guy is really starting to bug this blog. If you want to leave me a comment then please register if you aren't already--it's easy to do and I really want to hear from you.

Arlee Bird