A to Z Theme 2016

For my 2016 A to Z theme I used a meme that I ran across on the blog of Bridget Straub who first saw it on the blog of Paula Acton. This meme is a natural for me to use on my memoir blog. It's an A to Z concept and it's about me. No research and nothing complicated. I'm given twenty six questions or topics to discuss that are about me.

In April I kept my posts short and uncomplicated. In the midst of it all you might learn a few things about me that you didn't previously know.

Friday, January 15, 2016

Give My Regards to Broadway (Backstage Blogathon)




In the Backstage Blogathon (click on the link for more info and the list of participating blogs) participants pick a film made before 1970 that has something to do with the workings of show biz.  This is a blog hop that definitely fits my interests in show business.  I'll tell you more about this later which should add more credibility to my championing the 1948 film Give My Regards to Broadway.  






Give My Regards to Broadway (1948)


      I happened upon this movie on television several years ago.  Serendipitously I had turned the channel just as the credits were starting to roll.  Seeing that it was a movie about show biz and vaudeville I stuck with it and I was glad that I did.   Give My Regards to Broadway is a film that so much reminded of me of my own family and upbringing that I added it to my list of favorite films.

        The story is about Albert Norwick (played by Charles Winninger), a vaudeville veteran who struggles in show business with his growing family until they are forced off the road by The Great Depression.   Taking on a regular job to lead the existence of any normal American family, Albert the Great hangs on to his vaudeville dreams believing that one day his family's act will get their big break in entertainment.

         As the years pass, the three Norwick children settle in taking on jobs when they reach adulthood.   The two daughters are ambivalent about the show biz dream while son Bert Norwick (played by Dan Dailey) shares his father's passion for the world of the stage.  When their old agent lets Albert know about a possible big show opening in New York, the family starts rehearsing their song, dance, and juggling act as Albert is convinced there will be a headlining spot for them in this new show.

        First one daughter and then the next loses interest as they fall in love and get married, abandoning the act.   At first father and son pursue their dream until complications arise that threaten to keep them where they've been since leaving the glamour life 20 years previously.  Faced with the dilemmas of what to do they must make the decisions that will decide the direction of their lives.

         This is a fun film that explores the passion of pursuing dreams, the realities faced in that pursuit, sacrifices made for the sake of  love and security, and the bonds of family and friends.  Give My Regards to Broadway is poignant and bittersweet yet ever hopeful.   It's a joyous film about life, love, family, and baseball--yes that's right.  I'll leave it to you to watch the film to get the baseball connection.

         Stars Charles Winninger and Dan Dailey do a fine job in the song and dance numbers as well as performing some very credible juggling numbers.  Actually Dailey is quite good with the juggling.  Professional jugglers Duke Johnson and Bill T. Coughlin acted as juggling coaches developing simple routines that looked good on screen while requiring minimal juggling expertise.  

         All in all this little known film makes for a delightful viewing experience.  Nicely filmed in Technicolor, the acting is excellent and the classic songs are performed with true vaudeville flair.  I was especially impressed by the story.  This is one of the most realistic films about show business that I've seen.  I'm going to tell you why I make that claim.


Dan Dailey, Barbara Lawrence, and Charles Winninger perform a plate juggling
routine in Give My Regards to Broadway

My Connection to the Film

        What surprised me most when I saw this film was how similar the story was to the experience of my own family.  My father was just starting out in show business with his own juggling act when this film first came out.  Like most performers, he had that dream of being a headline act in a big show.  He soon was to meet my mother who was a dancer with show biz dreams of her own.  After they partnered in marriage they put together their own dance and juggling package and began playing the still active club and show circuit in the Cleveland, Ohio area in the 1950's.

         My dad never gave up his dreams though he did maintain a good job as a bookkeeper and our family had a home and a relatively typical life.  As my sister and I grew up we became part of my parents' act, performing on weekends or special engagements whenever we could get the bookings.  It was a great life and the show biz bug easily hooked us.  We dreamed of becoming performers full time, but never quite took that step.

          Later, after my sister and I became adults, she left the act to follow her own pursuits.  A few years later I too left to pursue my own show business dream as a solo performer.  I worked successfully as a performer for about 15 years, getting married along the way and raising my own brood of kids.  As they became school age I too left the show biz life to settle down to a regular job with a normal home life.

         Having lived the life and the dream, I can understand the lure of the bright lights and the cheering audiences.  It is something that "gets in your blood" as the saying goes.   To me the film Give My Regards to Broadway precisely captures the spirit of the dream as well as the security of being tied down to regular life.

        Relatively few people who attempt to go into an entertainment career experience huge success.   Some of the luckier ones like myself and my family or the fictional Albert the Great and Family are able to enjoy enough of a successful run where we get a taste of the glamorous life.  Once that's been tasted I think most of us have a lingering desire to return in some capacity.  It's certainly true for me:  If I were offered an opportunity to go back to an entertainment career of some sort, I would be tempted.  I'd be very tempted.      


A 1967 promo photo for my family's act The Juggling Jacksons
My father Bob Jackson seated with my sister Joy, me in the center
and my mother Lois Jackson.

         If you've seen Give My Regards to Broadway, what did you think of it?   What films have you seen that come closest to depicting your own life story or your family background?     Have you ever sacrificed a dream for the sake of security or the love of another?

To watch this film online you can find it here.



20 comments:

  1. I'm not sure there are any films that depict my or my family's story in any way. And I suppose you could say I sacrificed my dream of being on the west coast when I decided to move back east to be with my now-husband. Fortunately I had 22 years out there under my belt. But I just never thought I'd leave Washington and as a result, I didn't get to do or see near as many things/places because I thought I had plenty of time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JoJo, time certainly does have a knack of slipping away from us. I think keeping the right attitude in whatever place and situation we are in can make a world of difference on our outlook on life.

      Lee

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the link. I will most definitely watch it with my mother one evening.

    I never thought about show business and people who pursue a career until late in life. After I retired, I realized that dreams need to be pursued earlier in life.

    I have much respect for those who pursue those dreams now. It involves sacrifice and many do not understand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ann, I think we can pursue a dream no matter what our age. When we stop dreaming we have little to look forward to and if we're not pursuing a dream it's like we've given up on living.
      Sacrifice is a big part of life. We are always making sacrifices and often don't even think about it.

      Lee

      Delete
  3. Your story and the connection to the film is fascinating. I don't recall ever seeing this movie, but I am a Dan Dailey fan and will certainly make an effort to catch it soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Caftan, this film is so difficult to find on television and doesn't seem to be available on DVD from any dealers that I would trust ordering from. If you ever run across it then by all means watch it--this story is a different spin on the typical show biz musical.

      Lee

      Delete
  4. I've heard of the title, but I don't recall having ever seen it. TCM has probably plays it at least once, though I sadly no longer have cable or even a TV.

    I'd love for someone to make a movie of the novel Out of This Furnace, which tells the story of my Slovakian immigrant ancestors in the late 19th and early 20th centuries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carrie-Anne, this film seems to be a real rarity. I haven't seen where it's ever been on TCM although I did find it listed in their database of films. When I saw it I believe it was on the FX Movie Channel when they show older movies commercial free in the mornings. But now I forget for sure. I do wish TCM would add the film to their line-up. It's worth viewing.

      Out of the Furnace sounds like an intriguing title as well as an interesting period of time. Hope someone heeds your call.

      Lee

      Delete
  5. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this film and how it connects to your family. What a fascinating childhood you must have had!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Silver Screenings, I was so surprised to find a film to which I could relate so much.

      Lee

      Delete
  6. Oh, this looks like a treat! I loved reading the personal element as always appreciate how film fans discover certain movies and why they're so resonant (or maybe I'm just nosy!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Girls, it was such a matter of happenstance my running across this wonderful film. I wish they would show it more often on television.

      Lee

      Delete
  7. Thanks so much for joining in with this fascinating and personal review. It's always fun to find hidden gems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fritzi, sadly this gem shouldn't be as hidden as it is. Enjoyed the blogathon!

      Lee

      Delete
  8. Sounds like a great movie and you seem to have a natural affinity for doing reviews;-) I love to happen across an engrossing film that so transports as to make one wistful. As I've said before, having had such unique influences has made you an exceptionally interesting person!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diedre, I think all of us can find a movie or a book that seems like a variation on our own lives. Finding that one film is a delightful surprise.

      Lee

      Delete
  9. Lee, I have not seen this movie. I appreciate the link to where I can watch it online because I checked with Netflix and Amazon Prime and neither had it available. I can't think of any movie that depicts my simple life. That bug for the limelight is in all of us a little, I think. I remember after a taking Drama in high school I daydreamed more about being an actress. Of course, I never did anything about it because I knew it was only a fun dream. At least you got a taste of that life and have interesting stories to share with your kids & grandkids. That's kinda cool, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathy, even a dreamer can have a story that might be something found on film. I can remember many such films. I don't know why Give My Regards to Broadway is so hard to find as it is a fine film.

      Lee

      Delete
  10. I never heard of this movie, but it sounds interesting (your life also!). You know, I haven't seen a movie I'd compare to my own life, but I read a book that ran pretty parallel to my own childhood.
    Right now I'm having to put all my writing career thoughts on a backburner because it's not bringing any money in right now. But I'm still sideline working on it. It's not to the point of 100% sacrifice yet. Hopefully it never will be!

    (By the way, I'm saving the link to this movie to watch later.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Madilyn, I'd never heard of this film either until that day I ran across it on television. I was so surprised about it. I think it's very rarely shown.

      It would be nice to make money from your writing efforts, but don't ever give up. You never know when a break may come.

      Lee

      Delete

Tell your story. Express your thoughts. We want to hear from you. This blog no longer accepts comments from "Anonymous"--That guy is really starting to bug this blog. If you want to leave me a comment then please register if you aren't already--it's easy to do and I really want to hear from you.

Arlee Bird