A to Z Theme 2016

For my 2016 A to Z theme I used a meme that I ran across on the blog of Bridget Straub who first saw it on the blog of Paula Acton. This meme is a natural for me to use on my memoir blog. It's an A to Z concept and it's about me. No research and nothing complicated. I'm given twenty six questions or topics to discuss that are about me.

In April I kept my posts short and uncomplicated. In the midst of it all you might learn a few things about me that you didn't previously know.

Friday, April 29, 2016

Your favorite food (#atozchallenge)






Your favorite food...

        Sadly, I've been finding that more and more the foods that have always been my favorites don't set well with me sometimes.  I've always liked spicier flavorful foods.   Favorite foods include pizza, Mexican, or Thai food.  But I'm also mighty fond of just about all Asian food and Italian when I'm in the right mood.   When you get right down to it my favorite thing to eat is food--period.

          Oh, there are a few things that I don't like so well, but if I'm hungry I'll go for just about anything.  Sometimes it might be a mood thing.  I might crave a sub sandwich or some soup.  Turkey dinners are great anytime--especially the Thanksgiving dinner like my mother used to make.  I can duplicate those Thanksgiving style dinners like my mother made so that everyone eating it seems to think it's great, but I can tell the difference.  When I cook it, those turkey dinners don't seem quite as good as my mother's.  Maybe it's like she used to say how you spend several hours cooking and then eating it just doesn't seem as good as it might have if somebody else had done all the work.

       I love ice cream, cake, candy--any sweets.  I'm crazy about sweets and that's bad for me.  Food, food, food.   I enjoy eating.  My wife thinks I'm a great cook, but that's maybe because she doesn't cook.   I'll admit that a lot of times my meals seem better than many of the restaurant meals we get.  And when it comes to spaghetti, forget about it.  It's been rare that I've ever had a plate of restaurant spaghetti that comes even close to what I make.  It's in the sauce.  Seems like you'd get a really good spaghetti gravy when you pay top price in a restaurant, but I rarely have so I rarely order spaghetti when I eat out.  Spaghetti is something best fixed when I fix it.  Same with chili most of the time.

         My favorite food if I have to pinpoint one might be pizza.  But if I'm not in the mood for pizza then my favorite food is something else.  It comes down to mood.   When I have a serious craving for something special and if I fulfill that craving with something that I think is really outstanding, then that's my favorite food.  For the moment at least.

          What do you tend to eat more than anything else?   Is there anything that you won't order in a restaurant?   Do you think you cook better than most people?

7 comments:

  1. Like my Grandma, I forget to eat. I love food though, don't get me wrong. I just don't think about it. Plus so much of it hurts my stomach too. Plus as I get older food doesn't taste the same. My favorite food I guess is my mom's fried chicken and mashed potatoes and gravy.

    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Teresa, I can really relate what you say here. I can't eat as much quantity as I used to and many things I have liked it the past don't agree with my system anymore. I rarely forget to eat as I still do get hungry. And if I kind of forget, my wife will remind me.

      Lee

      Delete
  2. I love to cook for my husband who loves to eat. It makes me feel so good to hear, 'This is delicious babe, thanks. You're a great cook.' I, myself am a very picky eater so I will often cook stuff for him that I wouldn't eat myself. When I'm home alone I eat a lot of cereal and sandwiches. In restaurants I tend to stick to things I know as I'm not very adventurous and I don't like hot and spicy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JoJo, it's the same way at our house except it's me cooking for my wife. Usually she loves the food I fix and it pleases me to hear her brag on my cooking. When I'm alone at home I tend to eat more things like sandwiches and cereal or sometimes I'll just go out and grab some fast food.

      Lee

      Delete
  3. Pizza is my favorite too. That is what I thought when I read your article. I make a quasi homemade pizza that everyone loves. Quasi in that I buy lumps of dough. I don't do the yeast bread thing.
    What is interesting but convenient, is my hardy appetite disappeared this past decade. I still love to eat. However, a small serving and I am done. Now if I could just drop some weight.
    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ann, your comment could have almost been my own except for the not doing the yeast bread thing which is still something I like. I would think I'd lose weight since I eat so much less than I used to, but I probably eat a lot of the wrong kind of stuff that is high in calories even though eaten in small quantities.

      Lee

      Delete
  4. Hi Lee - I noticed years ago that my older relatives struggled with various foods as they got older ... but home-cooked simple meals were always best. I still love various flavours ... I just cook simply when at home ... it's easier and cheaper!

    Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete

Tell your story. Express your thoughts. We want to hear from you. This blog no longer accepts comments from "Anonymous"--That guy is really starting to bug this blog. If you want to leave me a comment then please register if you aren't already--it's easy to do and I really want to hear from you.

Arlee Bird